Wednesday 4 November 2009

Robotic Vision Class

Robotic Vision //

Today I attended to a class on robotic vision here at the University of Plymouth invited by João Paulo Gomes (computer scientist and friend) and learned about different kinds of cameras, some using DMA - Direct Memory Access (as the cell phone cameras). IN the practical classes we will use VGA cameras, and OPENCV. Some topics were: object recognition (size, area, etc.); feature extraction (edges, regions, shapes, etc.); Morphometric measures; features extraction; Hough transform. Coming back to the I-DAT, I google "contrast edges processing 1.0", to find something using Processing, and here it is, just to illustrate what I learned about today - Edge Detection

The professor explains me that to work with hand tracking the finger needs to have not less than 2 pixels in the image. João said to me that if I have a projection of 3000x3000 mm it will be still possible to work with a VGA camera (640x480) if I consider a small fingertip of 5x5 mm (3000/5 = 600). But… if I’m intending to work with a 1280 X 1024 resolution or higher this means that a VGA image will usually appear distorted or blocky. My Logitech Webcam has a 1.3 megapixel sensor (1280x960 is the image size)

No comments: